As you may have noticed from reading my blog, I'm a penny-pincher, always trying to get things done within my limited budget. For a while now I've been looking for a good container to use to take my orders to the post office. Up till now I've been using a plastic basket with a handle, but it's not very pretty, and if too many things are piled in it they tend to slide off the top when the basket gets jostled in the car, and fall down between the door and the seat where I may not discover them for several days, which can lead to delayed shipping and irate customers. I've been wanting something with a lid to prevent all that (and also to keep out curious cats.) It also had to have a handle, because I always have to think up ways to make things more complicated.
Easier said than done. I've searched the plastic bin sections of every store that carries plastic bins without finding what I want; it's too big, it's too small, it doesn't have a handle, it doesn't have a lid, etc. And especially, it's too expensive!
I measured the amount of belting needed (and by "measured" I mean, held it up to the box and estimated an appropriate length) and used a lighter to melt the cut ends to prevent fraying. Luckily the belting was synthetic, or I would have been blogging about how I made a new wick for my oil lamp. I used hot glue to attach the handle to the box - be sure not to glue all the way to the top edge of the box, or the lid won't fit properly. I started at the bottom edge rather than wrapping it around the bottom, since the bottom of the box will probably be getting banged up and dirty. Also I didn't want it to be tippy, because my OCD tendencies say things have to sit nice and flat on flat surfaces, and it would forever after drive me nuts if it didn't do so.